September 26, 2005

Houston and Rita

FRIDAY NIGHT:
Yeah! Reports are that we will miss the bulk of the hurricane. There is still the real threat of tropical forces winds and heavy rain. We expect some of Houston to be without power.

The hospital is like a summer camp. With so many doctors and staff, and almost NO patients, we’re sitting around playing cards and watching television. I go to bed when someone breaks out the Taboo board.

I am given an air-mattress, pillow, and blanket. My choices are to sleep in my office (an interior room with no windows!) or in a large room with cots lined end-to-end. Most people choose their offices.

John and our friends call me to tell me what a party they’re having! They made sloppy joes, watched movies, and are playing spades. Everyone is relieved that the hurricane has by-passed us, but they plan to remain together to monitor the rain and wind damage.

SATURDAY MORNING:
Pretty anti-climactic. There are strong wind gusts, but only slight rain. We are under a tropical storm advisory until 4pm.

My biggest plan for the morning is to figure our where to shower and get a cup of coffee. Everything is closed, but they say they will provide breakfast at 8:30am. I don’t know when they’ll send me home, but hopefully later this afternoon.

Thanks for riding out the storm with me! I feel very lucky to have such a wonderful family.

P.S. Fill up your gas tanks now, because many oil refineries were destroyed and gas prices are expected to rise.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reverse Osmosis Information...FREE!

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh lord, these spam comments use the weirdest segues I've ever seen. "I LOVE your blog!! You might be interested in water filtration." The writing is almost up to par with Nicole Richie's latest book.

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forget the above comment and check this out:

Perfume

5:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bebo blog

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home