August 25, 2004

Ghetto Fab

When I moved to Arizona my VW Golf held everything I owned. Since then I've bought the world's most comfortable queen-sized bed, a cheery-stained Denmarket L-shaped desk, and various matching/unmatching book shelves. My VW also gets amazing gas mileage and its description is everything I strive to be: frugal, economical and stylish.

But my car - named Beepers - is also getting old, I took him in today for his 80,000 mile check up. Recently, he's also had the tendency to shut off during highway driving. It turns out Beepers had an electrical malfunction, he blew a bulb in the mechanics face this morning - that's my car - sassy 'til the end!

Scheduled check-ups always cost a lot of money. Luckily, VW and my local dealer send me tons of coupons and I'm not above combining them any way they'll let me (because I'm frugal, remember?). This time I got 10% off plus a free rental car.

What I didn't bank on was getting a land yacht - the only car the rental place had left was a Ford Explorer. I was pretty sure an Explorer wasn't a station wagon but I couldn't remember what one looked like. The lady at the desk showed me to my rental, my jaw dropped and my eyes widened but I didn't protest.

The green, lefty, liberal, environmentally friendly activist in me hated the vehicle, but the boner in my shorts from being able to see people in their cars from above while bumping Timerland (Brandy's new album) on the sound system seemed to disagree. This feeling can't be worth $80 in gas a week, plus it can't be entirely safe to drive in a thing so erect ... er, I mean tall.

3 Comments:

Blogger M@ said...

I don't have a "cheery-stained" desk, but I DO have cheery-stained sheets!

1:29 PM  
Blogger Atticus West said...

That's seriously gross Groeg.

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mortgage articles for refinance mortgage home loans

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home