August 25, 2004

Ghetto Fab

When I moved to Arizona my VW Golf held everything I owned. Since then I've bought the world's most comfortable queen-sized bed, a cheery-stained Denmarket L-shaped desk, and various matching/unmatching book shelves. My VW also gets amazing gas mileage and its description is everything I strive to be: frugal, economical and stylish.

But my car - named Beepers - is also getting old, I took him in today for his 80,000 mile check up. Recently, he's also had the tendency to shut off during highway driving. It turns out Beepers had an electrical malfunction, he blew a bulb in the mechanics face this morning - that's my car - sassy 'til the end!

Scheduled check-ups always cost a lot of money. Luckily, VW and my local dealer send me tons of coupons and I'm not above combining them any way they'll let me (because I'm frugal, remember?). This time I got 10% off plus a free rental car.

What I didn't bank on was getting a land yacht - the only car the rental place had left was a Ford Explorer. I was pretty sure an Explorer wasn't a station wagon but I couldn't remember what one looked like. The lady at the desk showed me to my rental, my jaw dropped and my eyes widened but I didn't protest.

The green, lefty, liberal, environmentally friendly activist in me hated the vehicle, but the boner in my shorts from being able to see people in their cars from above while bumping Timerland (Brandy's new album) on the sound system seemed to disagree. This feeling can't be worth $80 in gas a week, plus it can't be entirely safe to drive in a thing so erect ... er, I mean tall.

13 Comments:

Blogger « groeg » said...

I don't have a "cheery-stained" desk, but I DO have cheery-stained sheets!

1:29 PM  
Blogger Atticus West said...

That's seriously gross Groeg.

10:29 PM  
Blogger Sports Junky said...

I agree,

I love Nascar. and recently I have bought stock in it. Not like real stock on Wall street, but a stock market that is strictly for sports.

You have seen it? Its pretty cool. You buy issues for your favorite teams and you make real money. Not like a fake stock simulator. I cash out Dividends each time the team wins. Also I can sell my team stock when the price goes up.

check it out if something like this interests you.
heres a link http://allsportsmarket.com
you can log in and check it out for free..

They just released IPO'S for Nascar this week, so there are alot of good deals there.

Keep up the good work on your blog!
-Erik

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got a place just like that vw rim

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just started a volkswagen turbo kit blog

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog you have! I really enjoyed it. I heard of a great site that is giving away a free set of Nike Golf Clubs. I think your readers will enjoy it. Just click the link below and enter your Zip Code to see if you qualify!
Free Nike Golf Clubs!

11:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd have to say that I agree with you 100%. You might like this golf shoes golf site that I came across. Thanks again for your insight.

3:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NASCAR PATCHES that can be ironed onto leather or fabric for a tight bond and will not peel. The backing and the stitching is of materials that resist fading from the sun, and is completely washable. $6.00 each.
(There is a PayPal link on the "car badge" page, Or you may mail a check.)
**NASCAR**

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NASCAR PATCHES that can be ironed onto leather or fabric for a tight bond that will not peel. The backing and the stitching is of materials that resist fading from the sun, and is completely washable. $6.00 each.
(There is a PayPal link on the "car badge" page, Or you may mail a check.)
**NASCAR**

6:07 PM  
Anonymous home mortgages said...

mortgage articles for refinance mortgage home loans

7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NASCAR PATCHES that can be ironed onto leather or fabric for a tight bond that will not peel. The backing and the stitching is of materials that resist fading from the sun, and is completely washable. $6.00 each.
(There is a PayPal link on the "car badge" page, Or you may mail a check.)
**NASCAR**

9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post!

I did a search for conserve gas and found this site. I have put together an ebook I have titled, "Huge Gas Pump Savings."

Dave
http://www.huge-gas-pump-savings.com/

2:34 AM  
Blogger All about Golf said...

Hi thanks for your blog, I liked it! I also have a blog/site about golf retailer that covers golf retailer related stuff. Please feel free to visit.

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home